OH JESSICA JESSICA



A little while ago now I went to my first ever comic con (Supernova) event. To be honest I thought it would be boring.... little did I know how much fun it would be!! 

Seeing all the amazing cosplay that people created themselves. Lots of stalls of local and national artists. 


A place where fans inspired by imaginary worlds emanating from comics, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, gaming, nostalgia and literature have been able to come together and express there inner geek and inner child. 


A friend of mine who I met through another friend happen to be holding a stall there. 


Her work is incredible, and I am so proud of how far she has come with her art. I brought one of her cute pins that she created. 


I managed to have a chat to Jess about her work and future plans. 





When did you first start Oh Jessica Jessica? 
I seriously started Oh Jessica Jessica in July of 2016. I had a handful of prints and my very first pin and started to attend art markets and comic conventions. Over the past 3 years it's grown much bigger than I could have imagined!



              What is your career goal as an artist? 
To be able to support myself through making original content. And to keep growing my skills and learn new things!



                  Who inspires you the most? 
I draw a lot of inspiration from music. Love to listen to good tunes while working. 



                Who is your biggest inspiration? 
There's been a lot of artists and musicians that inspire my work. My style is a combination of 90s anime, the Pre-Raphaelites, Jeffrey Smart, Edward Hopper, Noir Films, and a bunch of other things!



              Do you do any other type of art? 
I also work as a Character Designer and Animator in Melbourne. I also enjoy making clothes and props for cosplay 😀



     Where do you see Oh Jessica Jessica business in 5 years? 
I hope I'll be able to complete some of my larger projects, like a few romance comics I've been working on, and that I can branch into different products like apparel and jewellery in addition to pins!



                Do you have your own technique? 
I don't think so? My style tends to be very focused on line, colour, and silhouette so I guess that's why I like to design enamel pins as those elements lend themselves to the product. 



                      How do you work? 
I sketch most everything on paper with pencil. Then I'll photograph or scan the thumbnail and continue the work digitally in Procreate, Clip Studio, or Photoshop (sometimes a  combination of all 3).

                    

                     Do you have a studio? 
I work from home, which is convenient, but also means half my lounge room is full of stock and equipment. Sometimes it makes it difficult to relax and switch off. It can also make focusing tricky. 



                   What themes do you pursue? 
I like to explore small quiet moments, whether they're happy or sad, I aim to tell a story with each piece and elicit an emotion from the viewer. 



              What is your favourite art piece? 
That changes with each new piece I'm working on. I think my favourite is always the latest one I'm working on. 



       What memorable responses have you had to your art? 
I've had a few commissions for couples portraits, one time the partner came to say thanks in person at an event. That was super lovely and sweet!



            What do you dislike about the art world? 
Sometimes there are people who only talk to you to get information from you. I'm happy to share information with friends, but if a stranger or someone I've not talked to in ages starts fishing for business information like manufacturers and suppliers, that rubs me up the wrong way. I spend a lot of time doing research; even spent money on things that didn't work out or had to re-do things completely. It's just part of running a business. 



          What superpower would you have and why? 
To not have seasonal allergies. Spring just started and I can't breathe through my nose at all from hayfever. Being able to breathe all year round would be nice!




            Anything else you would like to add? 
If you want to follow my work, I'm on social media here: @ohjessicajessica on Insta, @ohjessicajess on Twitter. My shop is www.ohjessicajessica.etsy.com I'm also on Patreon: www.patreon.com/ohjessicajessica



Thank you so much Jess for letting me interview you. 


PEACE XXX

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For details about oh Jessica Jessica and where to buy some of her awesome pieces

 >>>>> details are below>>>>>>

Instagram: @ohjessicajessica
Twitter: @ohjessicajess
Etsy:www.ohjessicajessica.etsy.com
Patreon:www.patreon.com/ohjessicajessica



Her amazing pins!!!



Jessica and partner Adam












Photos taken by: Yours truly

Comments

Popular Posts