WA WOOD WORK SHOW

"BENNO'S BAR TOPS"







On Sunday the 6th of August I went to the WA Wood work show, with/for my partner in crime Ryan Dux, as his passion for wood work is becoming more and more heightened. 
I was thinking "this is going to be so boring". but hey, you got to do things you don't want to do sometimes for the one you love. 

Little did I know, it wasn't boring at all!! in fact it was intriguing. 

With demonstrations happening left to right, the smell of timber (god I love that smell), a showcase of vintage wood work tools and new tools for sale, some wood work art from numerous high schools (fuck they are good), and just seeing the smile on Ryans face like he was a kid in a candy store (if you know Ryan this very rarely happens) was good enough for me!

But then I stumbled upon Benno's Bar Tops.....
A man named Ben Chivers was doing this amazing Pyrography art, which if you don't know what Pyrography art is, it means according to Wikipedia: 

"Pyrography or pyrogravure is the art of decorating wood or other materials with burn marks resulting from the controlled application of a heated object such as a poker It is also known as pokerwork or wood burning", the term pyrography means " Writing with Fire".

He had me straight away mesmerised with his numerous different art pieces. I also noticed he had some kind of disability which if you ask me is amazing that he is still able to do this kind of work, and do it as well as he does! 

I decided to ask Ben some questions.




QUESTIONS

1. I noticed In one of your brochures that you are quadriplegic, did your passion for Pyrography start before or after you became a quadriplegic?
I got into Pyrography about 4 yrs ago & I didn't even know that it existed before my accident in 2006.
I started out with a chess board that I made in 2008 & I always wanted to make chess pieces for it. I finally got into engraving in about 2010/2011 thanks to a friend Laith Kingsbury. As the years went bye another friend of mine Jeremey Hall introduced me into Pyrography. So now an image that would have taken me 6 months to engrave, I can burn in a week &..... I still haven't done a set of chess pieces.



2. Where does your inspiration come from?
My main inspiration is that I feel like I'm doing something with my life. Before I started engraving & Pyrography it was just me & midday TV. Now I've got a good reason to get up & go every morning because I've found something that I love to do. 
As for my art I'm a giant lover of music , especially punk hence the double sided Punk Table,Clocks, & led light signs & skate boards.
Also the Lemmy Bar & the 27 Club Bar. 
But I love a challenge for example the Fremantle Bridge Collapse took me 2 months to complete & at the very start of that project I had so many people say to me in a smart alec way good trying that one. That was just adding fuel to the fire & really inspired me to go above & beyond.


3. Describe your business in a sentence?
My business in one sentence would be? Building my hobby into a creative business has been an exciting , interesting and life changing experience.




4. How long have you had your business for?
I've had my business for about 3 years




5. Do you have any advice for anyone wanting to start Pyrography?
If your just started doing Pyrography my advice would be.
Safety 1st, get the best equipment you can afford and then open up your creative side. 



6. How long do you spend a week doing Pyrography?
I spend approximately 25-30 hours per week doing pyrography.



7. Have you found having a disability limit you in things you used to do in a lot of ways?
Having a disability has changed a lot of things but I'm still front row of the mosh pit.




8. Is there anything that you would like to add 
You can always turn a negative into a positive


Thank you so much Ben, it was an honour to meet you x









For more information on Ben's Business please see below:

Name: Benno's Bar Tops

Phone: 0423 219 594

Email: bennosbartops@outlook.com

Instagram: @Bennospic

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BennosBarTops/




Me & Ben 


 



Ben Chivers



Some of his art pieces



PEACE X


--------------------------------

--------------------------------

Comments

Popular Posts